Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Equal Rights for Tanchangya Indigenous Women

UTACF Admin Committee
Site Owner

Dear all, 

Many greetings to you all and Happy Valentines!!.  

Today I want to share and discuss a matter; I wanted to send this e-mail to many others of our Tanchangya community, but i don't have the email addresses of all, please circulate it wherever possible. 

There are many discussion going on about many human rights such as health, food, clothes, education, housing for disadvantaged, marginalized Indigenous peoples all over the world. Recently, Our respectable Raja Barister Devashis Roy has honoured as a potential indigenous leader from Asia region. The Hill women federation, an organisation working for welfare of Jumma women is working for establishment of equal rights for women and men within indigenous groups for betterment of their societies. 

Women are the vital part of a family, but they don't get any inheritance rights, land rights and education rights in most famillies.As they are not valued by their own family, children, siblings, close relatives they are being neglected in everywhere. Now, the world has changed in every sector, we have to think about our policies, strategies and practices for socio-economic improvement of our people. In these circumstances, it is essential to be united and show respect each other.

The Chakma women have submitted their memorandum to the respected Raja Devashis Roy. The other women from different communities and societies (the Bawm social council, the Mro social council, and the organizations of other indigenous peoples) are organizing to submit memo to their respectable chiefs. Now what about our Tanchangya society? The Bangladesh Tanchangya Kalyan Parishad can make the movement for its great purpose.

May be you know already about it, but i don't know whether there is any movement about it or not. Please inform me if there is any movement for the great work. Otherwise, I would request you all to do some movement for it. The men can play a great role for achieving the women's rights. If the men are not agreed to do that, I should say nothing.

With best regards,

Ms Champa Tanchanga

Master of Health and International Development

Flinders University

Adelaide, South Australia.

February 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sujan Tanchangya
Administrator

Dear Champa,

Thank you very much for bringing out this issue to everyone's notice. Hopefully, UTACF would look into this issue and take some action for the welfare and advancement of the Tanchangya indigenous women. 

Perhaps, we would reach back to you for more information or for more advice!

Take Care and keep in touch

With Regards

Saddha Tong

February 17, 2011 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

UTACF Admin Committee
Site Owner

Dear Champa, Thank you for your email and bringing to our notice an important matter! We appreciate your awareness and your call for equal rights for the Tanchangya indigenous women. United Tanchangya Academic & Cultural Forum (UTACF) has posted your email on its website under http://www.utacf.org/apps/forums/topics/show/4290393-equal-rights-for-tanchangya-indigenous-women We would be bringing out this matter in Bangladesh in collaboration with our international members with the help of our on-field members and would post the update on our website http://www.utacf.org/ Thank you once again and good days ahead! Keep in touch UTACF President (On behalf of UTACF Admin Committee)

February 17, 2011 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

UTACF Admin Committee
Site Owner

Dear President of UTACF, Thank you very very much for your right decision in this historical event. It is a very positive milestone in our social and cultural development. I appreciate your initiatives highly in achieving this goal. I hope we can work for more developmental work for our Tanchangya society like education, cultural activities or ways of creating employment for our people. There is an International Jumma Organization where you can share your ideas and views and discuss any matter. If you like, you can join this group and encourage others to join the group by copy and paste this address- here is the address- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ijo_cht/join Best regards, Champa Tanchanga Master of Health and International Development Adelaide, South Australia.

February 17, 2011 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dalim Kumar Tanchangya
Administrator

Dear Champa di,

thank you very much for starting this important issue.

[ The Chakma women have submitted theirmemorandum to the respected Raja Devashis Roy. The other women fromdifferent communities and societies (the Bawm social council, the Mrosocial council, and the organizations of other indigenous peoples) areorganizing to submit memo to their respectable chiefs. Now what aboutour Tanchangya society? The Bangladesh Tanchangya Kalyan Parishad canmake the movement for its great purpose ].

Our "Bangladesh Tanchangya Kallyan Sonmstha" could not taken any steps about on this issues yet. BTW, we can offer them this issue to disciss their general meeting.

Good Day...

February 17, 2011 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pradiptong

It would be indeed a great service for our sisters, if we could put foreward a memorandum on behalf of our Tanchangya women' equal rights in the society to the Raj Devasis Rai, and grab our share in assisting our many a sister dream, to the equal role in our society of the diaspora of CHT. 

Our first genuine and sincere thanks should really go to Champa Tanchangya, for being so shrewd and competent in awaring us the vital news to the jurisdiction of this website, and above all, her benevolence and sympathy towards her fellow Tong-women, whose social rights and education had been really our utter expectation from many days. Secondly, many thanks of genuine brotherhood go to the UTACF authority for being correspont on this issue. Hoping to hear where we stand next.

Pradiptong   

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shuva Tanchangya
Administrator

Initially, my sincere thanks go the Champa Tanchangya for reaching us with this important issue and provoking our thought/s towrads it. We aren't too far from the future but it's the present that is the future. So, doing nothing at the present means no development in the future. Development of any society counts the development of each and every individual -  be it man or woman. Each has the role to play and that role should be played more efficiently and effectively.

The time, may be too fast or early, but it's the right time to stand together and put up the hands and speak for the rights of the women of the Tang-society. Without the development of the women in a society is like a person living either with one leg or one hand, or with one eye, and inability to work out freely even if s/he wishes. Friends, brothers and sisters, do not look to far to the future, but be present at the present and help our women in every aspect of their lives if you are to empower the society and the future generation, who wouldn't be expected to face the least difficulties that our past generation faced.

BTW, if the 'Bangladesh Tanchangya Kallyan Sonmstha' is unable to reach for such proposal and matters it is indeed important for the UTACF to take the intitial steps through the help of its organizers/members in order to make it possible. Because a chance is chance that happens only once not twice.

Your cooperation would be a blessing for our women!!!

Thank you.

Regards

Dhammawansa

--

****Unity is Strenght****

February 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Champa

Dalim Kumar Tanchangya at February 17, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Dear Champa di,

thank you very much for starting this important issue.

[ The Chakma women have submitted theirmemorandum to the respected Raja Devashis Roy. The other women fromdifferent communities and societies (the Bawm social council, the Mrosocial council, and the organizations of other indigenous peoples) areorganizing to submit memo to their respectable chiefs. Now what aboutour Tanchangya society? The Bangladesh Tanchangya Kalyan Parishad canmake the movement for its great purpose ].

Our "Bangladesh Tanchangya Kallyan Sonmstha" could not taken any steps about on this issues yet. BTW, we can offer them this issue to disciss their general meeting.

Good Day...

Dear Dalim, thank you for your great idea. That would be great if you could offer them to discuss the issue in the general meeting. I have learned a great news that Vishuddananda Bhante is going to Bangladesh with a big group of people today; I also have learned that he is a very influencial person of " Bangladesh Tanchangya Kallyan Songstha".  

As you are in Bangladesh now, please make some contact with him personally or with friends on behalf of the UTACF. I hope you will be successful.

With best wishes, Champa.

February 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Champa

Dear all, Thank you very much for your encouraging words. I appreciate everyone's idea in this issue. Please go ahead what you are thinking about it. Let's discuss everywhere about this issue and start it from our own famillies and friends.

February 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

S Tangchangya Suku

Dear Champa Di and All,

The proposed topic "Equal rights for Tanchangya women" is a vast & important issue not only in Tanchangya Indigenous society but also a worldwide movement running on the issue. So, while we talk on "Equal rights for Tanchangya Indigenous women", we also have to focus on “what equal rights for women" means. In this context, we also need to concern on “what gender discrimination” is. So, in brief, when we are going to talk on "equal rights for Tanchangya women" we also need to know: do our women in Tanchangya society, facing gender discrimination too??...... if it is surely yes, we have to find all those related areas/factors which made "Tanchangya women" facing gender discrimination and unequal opportunity of rights for women’s in Tanchangya Indigenous society, and also those of causes/factors which made obstacle for “equal rights for Tanchangya women". By finding all those related obstacles/causes/factors that our women in Tanchangya Indigenous community, facing then we may find easier to focus the proposed topic "Equal rights for Tanchangya Indigenous women" more focusable and more effective, in my opinion, how I am trying to share.

Also, we have to concern; how our national and local administration focuses on the “equal rights for women” issue, is an important thing, to be concerned, too.

Also important to know is: what “equal rights for women” means by “International declaration/laws for women’s rights” and what are the lacking in our “Tanchangya society” is facing, to be focused.

As I addressed, the topic “equal right for women” is a vast issue, there is some related information those might be helpful to focus the proposed topic "Equal rights for Tanchangya Indigenous Women" more effective and efficient ways:

1. noting/focusing "what is Women's rights": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_rights

2. Worth mentioning that the Bangladesh Government trying to take initiative to impliment equal rights for women in the country, also worth for study on the cause: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12950866

It is also worth mentioning that: the role of women in Tanchangya society is vast and which is never deniable. Women, in our Tanchangya society, playing a great role in various ways; starting from household life; taking care of family, care for children, farming, marketing, education, and many many ways  which for well being for the family life and for the whole Tanchangya community. Therefore, the proposed topic "Equal rights for Tanchangya indigenous women" is significant to issue to take into consideration from all Tanchangya community people.

all the best,

April 3, 2011 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shuva Tanchangya
Administrator

Thank you for the latest comment on this issue and for raising some of the basic questions that needed to be taken into consideration before dealing with this matter "Equal Rights for Tanchangya women".

However, in order to answer some of the questions raised, in brief, I would state here some ideas from my observations. Personally, what I've seen in the past is that women in tanchangya society is very much less given priority by the people since they held the view that the women usually are meant to look after the family but nothing else. The family matters are like, looking after children, cooking, cleaning and so on, while the men in the house are meant to work for the income in order to maintain the family. This is the very reason that made the women in our Tanchangya society to be demarcated from 'education' and that made them illegible in every aspect of life, such as not being able to access to health-care centres, social activities, marketing and so on. Of course, money factor counts here in order to provide education by their parents. But, the fact is that, they should have been at least made aware of those everything around instead of limiting their life only to family matters despite that fact that Tanchangya society is a men prominant. So, briefly, when every woman is entitled with 'eudcation' surely so called the 'ideological notion' would perish. There would open a new era both for the women and the tanchangya society.

Thank you

April 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

S Tangchangya Suku

Dear related all,

Note: In my previous post, while providing the link of "Women's Rights" it has come the link for only "Women". Here is another try for the link for "Women's rights" ...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_rights

@ Dhammawansa bhante: 

Yeah, as you stated: in past, women in "Tanchangya society” was meant to be simply giving hand to household life; cooking, care for family & children, it’s true. May be there were reasons too behind it:

for example: 1) those days, our Tanchangya community was very small and they had sufficient properties, earnings or income sources to carry on the family and family earnings and also carrying the whole family expenditures by one man (man) income very easily and may be that caused women need not be worried much for family earnings and external incomes in order to maintain the family household life (?!!!)

2) Hence, by naturally, women are subject to give birth of child/children and subject to taking care for children and family naturally, therefore, our Men in Tanchangya society devotedly giving love and priority to women (wife) in this particular aspect, were not interested or never needed to involve women in external incomes or external working. So, they (men in Tanchangya society) never involved women in external society or giving priority of education for women, in the community (Tanchangya society). I think, this is not meant to be making discrimination over the women considering to our social culture, but it seems, it is a kind of respect and devotion given over the women (wife) that of not forcing wife (women) in other external works (?!!!!!!)

3) also, may be a reason of social culture of our Tanchangya society that the men (man) alone being able to carry on the whole family’s external earnings/expenditures, did not involve women in external world (?!!!!)

4) However, it may also a reason that: women were given priority for internal family and social life in the whole Tanchangya’s social system which caused women to concentrate only internal family & social life internally in the Tanchangya society (?!!!!)

5) also, those days, the CHT situation was peaceful and wasn’t worst like present situation. And, people were internally peaceful with their life, family and social condition, and those days, it wasn’t really needed to be worried about women empowerment and thinking for women development plans in the community (?!!!!)

6) even also may be reason that: the lacking of local and national government and also social initiatives to women’s rights or women issues (??!!!!)

These are some ideas/possible reasons may be caused behind the stated comment (?!!) . May be there are many more reasons can be found while we study more regarding the Women rights or women issues in the Tanchangya community/society (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

however, all those possible reasons, were possibly never meant to be as discrimination over women or violation of women's rights in tanchnagya society, in that social context, i think.

cheers :)

April 5, 2011 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shuva Tanchangya
Administrator

Yes, I totally agree with the ideas you presented. Although those issues seemed to make no discrimination or violate the rights of women, however, they were the possible reasons for depriving women from education. The reason is that there is no direct line for demarcation with regard to any issue. For example, of course, those days the tanchangya number was small and working of a man in a family is more than enough to provide (the needs for) a number of family members, while the women in the house could give much attention to the domestic works and children, and also the family members. But, the need of education is not to get jobs and maintain the family but to educate themselves to be aware of many issues such as health care etc. In fact, education would not only help them to be aware of the situation around but more importantly to help themselves in eudcating their children at least. 

Apart from that, if we look at the role of the women in the past from a critical point of view, not just the man goes to work in the cultivation but the woman too. If you look at every tanchangya family you'll find children hardly see their parents soon after they wake up. Why? Because parents leave for work. Does it mean that women in the tanchangya family, rather in the tanchangya society is meant to look after only the domestic works?? Even if it is so, why do they go for work? It proves that even in the past the women played an important  role in earning income for the family.

BUT, I would say even though we can't directly emphasized 'women rights' with regard to Tanchangya women but from the feministic view they are deprived of many things which they should have been already provided. Even if we consider the women in west there is no question that they are deprived from anything when compared to Tanchangya women, but to say at least the women in the west strugling on varous issues (on women rights) despite the fact they are welll educated and have the freedom to speak, move and work. So, in a indirect speech women in the tanchangya society should be given the rights they needed than in the past.

Thank you!!!!

--

****Unity is Strenght****

April 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.