Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Information/Identity of a community: Tanchangya (??)

S Tangchangya Suku

Dear All,

hope, everything is going fine. :)

just sharing some informations on "Tanchangya Community" (found in internet) those might be worth for study (further study) and research (for the UTACF & other socio-community people) for a better understanding and development of a community identity/history/culture/tradition/lifestyle, etc. of the Tangchangya Community/society:  8) 

1. http://sites.google.com/site/voiceofjummaland/tanchangya

2. http://www.articlesbase.com/publishing-articles/tanchangya-people-in-myanmar-3212067.html

3. http://bangladesh-web.com/view.php?hidRecord=147615

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenchungya

5. http://www.pbm-cht.org/indigenous_people.html

of these, there are some informations which are urgent to further study and research specially while writing about a community, (??) 

best wishes :)

March 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

S Tangchangya Suku

yet again, some other "Tanchangya" related information, might be worth for study (further study & research), i found worh sharing: 

1. http://furomon.wordpress.com/ ;

2. http://www.undp.org.bd/feature/CHT%20Artisan%20Showcase%202006/files/c_tenchungya.html

April 2, 2011 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shuva Tanchangya
Administrator

Thank you for sharing the links. They are worth for the general and academic people. thank you.

April 3, 2011 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

S Tangchangya Suku

Dear All,

here is some reasons that i posted the topic on "Identity Issue of the Tanchangya Community" is and provided all related links in this regard: 

1. The word “Tanchangya” is a “community name or community title” and hence, a “community name or community title” must not be misspelled ever.

2. The generic term “Tanchangya” has been interpreted by different writers in different meanings. However, the original or specific term of “Tanchangya” must have to be meaningful according to the context, as “the original or specific term what ‘Tanchangya’ meaning really is”.

3. Also a thing is; the pronunciation or spelling of Tanchangya language is totally different than to either Bengali and English language, and hence, those of English and Bengali writers possibly pronounced the word “Tanchangya” totally different ways that of original “Tanchngya” spelling is which made a vast gape that of spelling the word “Tanchangya” and unfortunately, some writers; if made any wrong spelling of a community title “Tanchangya” in different/incorrect ways that is really miserable.

4. Hence, since time, except English and Bengali alphabets/scripts, and also because of; there were no other community alphabets/scripts is being used in Chittagong Hill Tract and even in the country; Bangladesh, that also made a big problem for the misspelling of the word “Tanchangya” while writing in Bengali and English scripts that also caused the original “Tanchngya” means, missing and has been written/spelled according to those (Bengali & English) pronunciation/spelling system rather the original “Tanchangya” spelling or pronunciation and even the original meaning is!!!

5. Also important to note that: the term “Tanchangya” is not simply a word a word in the dictionary/vocabulary found yet so far but “an identity of a community”…… so, an identity/title/name of a community must not be misspelled or misinterpreted simply by one’s wishes is. Therefore, a “Tanchngya community based research” is highly needed to protection and development of Tanchangya community identity is.

6. In my opinion, the original meaning or spelling of “Tanchangya” is: TUNGTOUNGYA and, the term TUNGTOUNGYA is a collective of words as: TUNG+TOUNG+YA = TUNGTOUNGYA or TUNGTAUNGYA (depending on spelling and pronunciation system is) !!!

here is now. cheers  :)

April 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shuva Tanchangya
Administrator

But to my understanding there is no harm to use either 'TANCHANGYA' or 'TUNGTOUNGYA' since they represent the community despite the fact that the latter gives the accurate sense than the former if etymologically explained. However, their usage is a synonymous, just like the way "BANGALI" and "BENGALI" or "SINHALA" and "SINHALESE". It is both nominal adjective as well as nominal noun, only difference is the former is pronounced in Bangla and Sinhala respectively whereas the latter is pronounced in English. I guess we could just adopt this on this way. Tanchangya as pronounced in English/Bengali and Tungtoungya/Tungtaungya is pronounced in Tanchangya language.

Thank you!!!!:)

April 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

S Tangchangya Suku

Ya, the point you stated is ok. However, the thing is; there are still some misinterpretations or misspelling we very often found regarding the community identity of the Tanchangya community. for example, some say, Tanchangya is a sub-tribal of the Chakma community, worthwhile, the Tanchangya community people themselves declared as "Tanchangya" which is itself a separate community and it is the identity of Tanchangya is, but not a sub-tribes of the Chakma, hence Tanchangya community has its own identity itself in religious, cultural and traditional lifestyle which is different than that of the Chakma community, in various aspects and features. Also, the thing, I tried to focus is; the term "Tanchangya" itself interpreted by different writers in different ways and meanings. So, why shouldn't we try to find out and focus what the original term "Tanchangya" can be???......... in that sense, I tried to focus the fact that of "Tanchangya" term could be!!

yet, here is some proposed reasons that of I referred the term "TUNGTOUNGYA" hence I interpreted in my earlier post:

Here, the word “TUNG” is derived & used in Tanchangya language as TUNG means “heap or peak of the hill or mountainside or hillside” [ref. example: MURA-TUNG = here, the word ‘MURA’ means ‘hill or mountain’ and ‘TUNG’ means ‘top or heap or peak of the hill’. So, the word “MURA-TUNG” is used denoting “heap/peak or top of the hill or mountain”] and, the word “TOUNG” derived & used in Tanchangya language as TOUNG means “bamboo-wooden & hemps made house which is built quite higher from the land surface” [ref. example: TOUNG-GHOR = here, the word ‘GHOR’ means ‘house’ and hence, the word ‘TOUNG’ is used denoting bamboo-wooden & hemps made house which is built little higher from the land surface. So, the word “TOUNG-GHOR” means bamboo-wooden & hemps made house which is built quite higher from the land surface]. To be noted that: Geographically and demographically, the Tanchangya community people, in the past, used to live in the heap/peak of hill areas or mountainside or hillside areas and used to build like that of high-heighted houses from the land surface (it might be) in order to save & protect themselves from wildlife attacks and wildlife nature. But now a day, hardly seen like that houses built in the Tanchangya community. However, those who; the Tanchangya community people are still living in forest & hillsides, far hilly areas and still used to build like those high-heighted houses, among the Tanchangya community people and it is also seen to some other indigenous communities in the Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT) of Bangladesh, lke; Marma, Mro, Khumi, Khuki, Kheyang and Chak indigenous community people.

Also, to be noted that: the word ‘TOUNG’ or ‘TOUNG-GHOR’ is also used to define in particular of ‘the bamboo-wooden & hemps made small hut/house which is made during the cultivation & harvesting period at the peak of the hillside, which is also called ‘Jhum-Ghor or Toung-Ghor’ specially made for traditional Jhum-cultivation (slashed cultivation) period in the hilly areas or peaked hill sides, a most seen traditional feature of the Tanchangya community people.

Also, as present term “Tanchangya” some writers define Tanchangya as “Tan or Tong” means peak or hill and “Changya” means “people” [ref: http://sites.google.com/site/voiceofjummaland/tanchangya]

Also would like to put some other definitions of Tanchangya, referred as:

1. The word Tanchangya is the combination of two words. Toin > Tong > Tan and Gang + ya > Changya. The word Toin is one of the river names in Southwest part of Myanmar (Burma). In the earliest time, the people of Tanchangya dwelt in the Toin River. And the word "Gang" means the river and "Ya" means persons who live, in Tanchangya language

[ref: http://www.articlesbase.com/publishing-articles/tanchangya-people-in-myanmar-3212067.html ]

2. The word “Tanchangya” derive from “Tan or Tong” which means “peak or mountain or hill” and “Changya” which means “People”. Because, majority of the people like to live on the top of the mountains or peaks or hills [ref: http://sites.google.com/site/voiceofjummaland/tanchangya ]

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenchungya [NOTE: this is miserable that something like an international information engine, From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia misspelled the identity of a community. In my opinion, I think the UTACF should focus and make review appeal on this regard to the Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia committee?!! ]

4. This is also miserable that something like the UNDP (the local based internationally spread organization) makes misspelled the identity of the Tanchnagya Community (? do none of the Tanchangya community people working or involved in UNDP CHT of Bangladesh project?) [ref: http://www.undp.org.bd/feature/CHT%20Artisan%20Showcase%202006/files/c_tenchungya.html ] >To NOTE that: I would like to draw attention & suggest that the UTACF can contact the referred contact person of the site on the misspelled issue of the Identity of the Tanchangya community.

5. This article was an excellent one, focusing history, tradition, culture, religious, social and historical aspects or background of the Tanchangya Community (THE IDENTITY of TANCHANGYA community), however, some reference based information would make the article on the Tanchangya community identity issue would make much clearer & more influential, I supposed [ref: http://bangladesh-web.com/view.php?hidRecord=147615 ]

However, as my proposed opinion “YA” now the question is regarding the “YA”. Why the “YA” has been taken as particular form as “YA” while taking consideration of the syllable system of TUNGTOUNGYA (TUNG+TOUNG+YA), in my opinion??!!!

To focus on my opinion; I would place the “YA” that has a significant role in Tanchangya language or “formation of word system in Tanchangya language”. Here, the point I see or I would like to draw is: the “YA” is as suffix used in Tanchangya language system specially denoting ‘human-being or human-race’ related nature/identity. In my opinion, the “ya” is used as a definite suffix. So, while examining the word “TUNGTOUNG>YA<” here, the suffix “YA” is used denoting the definite identity of the Tanchangya community. I would like to make some comparison of that of the usage of suffix “YA” in Tanchangya language system. Here are some words given to examine the proposed usage of “YA” and how the suffix “YA” works:

1) Hinduya=hindu+ya (the definite addressed that of denoting only human race related word) = here, the word ‘Hindu’ means ‘a religious identity; Hinduism’ and, added by the suffix ‘YA’ it becomes ‘hinduya’ means ‘the one who follows Hinduism’

2) Bangalya = (Bangal+ya), here, the word ‘Bangal’ means a national identity of Bangali people and by suffix ‘YA’ it denoted as ‘the one who is Bengali in nationality or in identity or in race’

3) Musalmanya = (Musalman+ya) = the one who is Musalman or Muslim by religion.

4) Sapya = (Sap+ya), here, the word ‘Sap’ means the ‘white English people’. And by adding suffix ‘ya’ it is denoting; the white English man=Sapya

Like these ways, the usage of suffix ‘ya’ we can see in Tanchangya language and “word formation system of the Tanchangya language”. Here are some more examples of suffix ‘ya’ and it usages in Tanchangya language:

1) Kalaya (Kala+ya) here, ‘kala’ means ‘black’ and added by suffix ‘ya’ it denotes ‘the one who is black’ [the definite address of the nature of that man is ‘black’]

2) Boraya (Bora+ya) here, ‘bora’ means ‘less hearing or non-hearing’ where added by suffix ‘ya’ it becomes ‘Boraya’ means ‘the one who has less hearing or non-hearing condition’

3) Choraya (Chora+ya) here, ‘Chora’ means ‘thieving’ and added by suffix ‘ya’ it becomes ‘Choraya’ means, a definite address that; the one who is thief or who the one is habitually thief.

Like these ways: kanaya=the one who is blind, dengyaya= the one who is cunning, fattuya=the one who moves/dwells all around, Lucchaya= the one who is in nature or habit.

So, while I am trying to point out on “TUNGTOUNGYA” ‘ya’ is, in my opinion, the Tanchangya (Community) is; those the indigenous community peoples who lived bamboo-wooden & hemp made house (which is built usually quite higher from the land surface) and those the community peoples lived around the peak of the hill or mountainside or hillside areas and those who; for their livelihood used to do “Toungya or Jhum cultivation” in the hillside areas, are regarded as the Tanchangya or TUNGTOUNGYA community people; are inhabited in Greater Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT); Rangamati, Khagrachari & Bandarban of Bangladesh and as far as sources go; the Tanchangya community people also lived in Chittagong district, and in Ukhia and Teknaf areas of Cox's Bazar district in Bangladesh. The Tanchangya peoples also lived in the North-eastern regions of Mizoram States of India, as well as in the Arakan region of Myanmar.

Based on those of earlier stated points, finally, I would like to point an opinion: it is important to protect & promote the Tanchangya community identity well-preserved. So, aiming protection & development also avoiding misspelling or misinterpretation of a community identity of the “Tanchangya” community, it is highly needed for a community based ‘research & publication unit’ of the Tanchangya Community and by that of a community based ‘research & publication unit’ any types of ‘Tanchangya community’ based or related research & publication should be audited by this research & publication unit and those of socially literal & recognized also socially responsible persons of the Tanchangya community can be appointed for carrying Tanchangya Community based “research & publication unit” tasks. And by the ‘community based research & publication unit’ any kind of further misinterpretation and misspelling of a community identity ‘TANCHANGYA’ can be overcome and, we may get the right identity information of the Tanchangya community, hope so!!

:) :) 

April 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Contact Us

E-mail:

[email protected] or

[email protected] 

---------------------------------------

Mobile:

UTACF Chief Coordinator

+ 88-01720003732 (Bangladesh)

UTACF President